Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Covid Contemplations (part 1)

I was in Mexico City visiting my parents when I started hearing about coronavirus. And toilet paper shortages in the US...

I am originally from Mexico City, but have lived in the US for the past 20 years, now residing in San Diego, California, with my husband and my 2 boys (11 and 14 years old). I flew back from CDMX to SD on March 7th, just to realize that what was a non event in Mexico (yet), was already a huge deal in the US. I had barely enough time to get up to speed before schools closed on March 13th (they will not reopen until the next school year, if at all). My last day of work was March 14th (I teach Pilates. As of today, June 2nd, all gyms are still closed). I had a brief meltdown over toilet paper until I realized I had enough. My boys will probably be using the last covid roll in 2032.

There is so much to say about how things are. How they were. How they have changed. How they will be... Some things bother me. Others don’t. Some are superficial and others have deeper roots... I will just throw my ideas out there, randomly...


Life: instead of worrying, I have focused on enjoying this simple life. I went from being a part time single parent (hubby used to travel a lot), going at 350 km/h, always giving 130%, chronically tired, to a more normal person (“normal” is debatable, though), with a more natural rhythm. No more alarm clock at 5:15am. No more running on tight and rigid schedules.
Guilt: I did go through a phase where I felt I was not doing enough. What can I study? What can I bake? How can I help? Truth is, I’m a “go” person. It was hard letting go, realizing I was (and am) indeed doing enough. And that staying at home helps a lot.

Gratitude: I am beyond grateful for what I have, and have become more empathetic toward those who are not as fortunate as I am. Not a day goes by where I don’t stop and think about those on the front lines, those who are sick, who have lost a loved one, a job, a business...

School: my boys attend traditional public schools. We were forced into homeschooling. I am LOVING the homeschooling. Really. It works for me and my oldest son. Not so much for the other one, who’s more of an extrovert. But I would keep this up in a heartbeat.

Friends and family: I have reconnected with long lost friends. Have had time to call and check in on my parents more often. I had never before done Zoom or FaceTime with anyone. And now I find myself having 2-hour conversations with people near and far. It warms up my heart.

The rift: I am amazed at the rifts this virus has caused. Just like politics and religion, now there are Covid divisions. Even within the same household. Different comfort levels. Different opinions. Different theories.

Work: the *pause* button was hit and I’m grateful for the privilege of not having to worry too much about finances since hubby is the main breadwinner. I am very domestic and an introvert. Being at home, cooking, baking, reading, being with my boys, makes me happy.

Outdoors: another privilege... living in San Diego. Even though parks, beaches, State and National parks were closed for a while, from the beginning I have been able to go on long suburban walks with my boys, even finding some hidden trails around the neighborhood. We have now found the time to go on weekly hikes that we would otherwise not have done. And since beaches are now open, with summer approaching, we can do that as well.

The boys: I believe the pace of life we had B.V. (before virus) was stressful for them as well. They are still in music lessons (bassoon and guitar), they still work out, do home work and school work, chores. But more relaxed.

Bottom line, there are ups and downs. Better days. Not so good days. Sometimes it all feels surreal. But pandemics are a part of the history of humankind. We have to be patient. Do our part. Stay informed and use common sense. Let things slowly fall into place. And as cliché as it is, carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and strike up a friendly dialogue!

Aussie Tales of the "Rona" in 2020!

G'day from Australia! We live in Port Macquarie, New South Wales and just over a year ago took over a Bed & Breakfast only 200m ...