Friday, June 12, 2020

Romantic Quarantine

My name is Dania. I am Mexican, living in Porto (Portugal) where I am doing a PhD in Sustainable Energy. I am at the last year of my research. For me it is very easy to stay in lockdown, as that has been my last year of Thesis.  Every moment is an opportunity to finish the research. Therefore, the quarantine has been a great chance to advance as much as possible.

I have my worries and demons about the whole infection (as everyone else). I’m nervous about the harm to the health and the economy, however my story is a bit more romantic….

I was working in Spain for two weeks when the COVID outbreak was about to start. With the precautions in mind, me and the research team I was working with decided not to go out from our hotel and work from there.  It was very tempting to go out and take a look at Barcelona without waves of tourist, however we didn't go out much, but I am so much looking forward to visiting Barcelona when all this craziness is over!

After that project was done; I went to Germany where I quarantined with my boyfriend and his family. It was nice to get to know each other, even under stress. It was also risky. The result could be an amazing relationship or simply a disaster, as we have not been together for a long time (we are a new couple).




There were so many moments of uncertainty, especially regarding my boyfriend’s job, worries about my research, and the “normal” worries and troubles every one of us has faced during the quarantine. Fortunately, care and hope were higher feelings, keeping our spirits as high as possible, and being able to support each other.  Soon we realized that we were lucky to be able to spend this time together, and we focused on the joy of getting to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and strike up a friendly dialogue!

Aussie Tales of the "Rona" in 2020!

G'day from Australia! We live in Port Macquarie, New South Wales and just over a year ago took over a Bed & Breakfast only 200m ...